ASTM D3163 Lap-Shear Testing of Bonded Rigid Plastics
ASTM D3163-01(2014) is used to measure the strength of a cured bond. This is a critical property of any adhesive, as they can exhibit unique shear properties. This particular standard addresses the shear properties of rigid plastic assemblies. It provides information to compare shear strength for different plastics and surface treatments.
The test is run on rigid assembles bonded via a lap joint, causing the two ends of the specimen to be offset from the vertical load line of the test. It is critical that the gripping solution can account for this in order to ensure a true shear force application. A stress is applied to the specimens at a rate of 8.3 to 9.7 MPa per minute and the breaking force and shear strength are reported.
The challenges of testing to this standard:
- Compliance with the standard
- Gripping materials of varying thickness
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test
- Compliance with the standard – The Adhesives Applications Module within Bluehill® Universal software comes with pre-configured test methods and supporting documentation to ensure that you are testing according to ASTM D3163.
- Gripping materials of varying thickness – When testing lap shear specimens, the lap joint results in offset specimen ends. The advanced screw action grips can be adjusted to offset to ensure that the specimen remains centered in the load string. For high strength materials, the 5 and 10 kN pneumatic grips feature an adjustable jaw face offset for irregular specimens, such as lap-shear or components.
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test – The advanced screw action grips and pneumatic grips employ a patented quick-change jaw face design which enables operators to easily change jaw faces to accommodate the needs of their materials.
It is important to review ASTM D3163-01(2014) in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
Instron 3300 Series Universal Testing Systems for Tensile, Compression, Bend, and other material property tests.
- 2.2 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 6.8 MB
Screw side-action grips provide a very simple and efficient method for holding test specimens in a wide range of applications. The dual - acting design of 2710-100 series grips means that jaw faces can be adjusted to accommodate different specimen thicknesses. This ensures that the line of tensile force remains concentric with the grip body. They can be equipped with a selection of interchangeable grip jaw faces in various sizes and choice of surfaces including smooth ground, rubber-coated and serrated. Line contact and special coated faces are also available.The unique ‘snap-on’ jaw face attachment makes changing faces extremely quick and simple.
- 1.3 MB
Instron® 2712-04x Series Pneumatic grips, packed with features to enhance gripping performance, usability, and operator safety.
- 0.7 MB